Re: [squid-users] Squid Redirection probs

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:22:22 +0200

On Tuesday 02 April 2002 03:42, stuart wrote:

> went to create a socket for the unlinkd program. Being unable to
> communicate on this socket caused the starting of squid to die (not
> dump core)in unlinked.c, before creating the redirector sockets.
> So allowing traffic from the external interface to the external
> interface on the box fixed this.
>
> It would be nice to config squid to use a specific interface for
> this. So that the internal sockets used by squid could be done on
> the local lan interface, it may also be a way that the box was set
> up, using the external interface as the primary ip.

Unless you have hacked Squid the loopback interface is used for this
communication, not any external interface.

All my Squid's are running fine with very restrictive iptables rules
on both external and internal interfaces, as long as they are allowed
to talk over the loopback interface "lo", from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1.

available on request