Re: [squid-users] huge page faults

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 02:42:21 +0200

Marc Elsen wrote:

> Perhaps with 256Gb it would be advisable to lower the
> cache_mem setting to 16Mb for instance, because I read
> somewhere that SQUID total process size can be 3 or 4 times
> this value.

The Squid process size is not in relation to cache_mem. cache_mem just
one of the many memory uses by Squid. The most significant use of memory
is usually to keep track of the cache index.

I will soon go and kill that statement from the Squid FAQ. It is meant
as an indication that cache_mem is not the memory limit of Squid, but
many people misread it to think that Squid will use 3 to 4 times
cache_mem. It is not possible to estimate the memory usage of Squid
based on cache_mem. Only thing that can be told about cache_mem is that
when Squid has been running for a while then it will surely use AT LEAST
cache_mem amount of memory, significantly more if you also have a disk
cache.