Re: [squid-users] huge page faults

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 10:57:25 +0200

Hermann Strassner wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > I will soon go and kill that statement from the Squid FAQ. It is meant
> > as an indication that cache_mem is not the memory limit of Squid, but
> > many people misread it to think that Squid will use 3 to 4 times
> > cache_mem.
>
> Yes. This leads to misunderstanding.

Squid squid.conf comment is now rewritten to read

cache_mem

        NOTE: THIS PARAMETER DOES NOT SPECIFY THE MAXIMUM PROCESS SIZE.
        IT ONLY PLACES A LIMIT ON HOW MUCH ADDITIONAL MEMORY SQUID WILL
        USE AS A MEMORY CACHE OF OBJECTS. SQUID USES MEMORY FOR OTHER
        THINGS AS WELL. SEE THE SQUID FAQ SECTION 8 FOR DETAILS.

        'cache_mem' specifies the ideal amount of memory to be used
        for:
                * In-Transit objects
                * Hot Objects
                * Negative-Cached objects

         [...]

Joe: What is your current rule-of-thumb on how to size the memory of a
Squid system? You have more experience than me on this, and I'd like to
add a note to the FAQ on this in addition to the existing extensive
discussion on why it uses all this amount of memory..