Re: [squid-users] squid on solaris8 (for intel)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:14:05 +0200

sun wrote:

> >a) There is no need to disable what is listed as an --enable option
> >in configure --help or to enable those listed as an --disable option..
>
> I want to get a tidy and high-powered squid binary, so I disable the
> functions that I don't need. I am newcomer and I don't know if it is
> effective. Please give me some advice.

There is no point in disabling something which is disabled by default
(then listed as a --enable-xxx option), or to enable something which is
enabled by default (listed as a --disable-xxx option in configure
--help). Won't make any difference.

And as I said, you shouldn't be using a --enable-xxx option unless you
know for certain it does good things for you.

> >b) You should not enable stuff you do not know you need. Are you
> >really sure you want these?
> >
> > --enable-mem-gen-trace
> > --enable-kill-parent-hack
> > --enable-time-hack
> >
> >The first is a debugging option. The last second is a hack for a very
> >specific situation (starting Squid with a wrapper script such as
> >RunCache) and the last is a hack known to not work well.
> >

> I don't these details and I only read the configure --help, thank you very much.

And what in the help of the first two made you enable them?