[squid-users] Forcing caching of ASP's

From: <mgio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:50:05 -0500 (CDT)

I would like squid to cache the maps topozone.com for me
but it doesn't seem to want to cache the maps.

Here is a sample URL:
http://bonne.topozone.com/tile.asp?z=19&n=4704588&e=315976&s=25&k=16325921

At first, I noticed Squid wouldn't cache this picture because it had
a '?' in the URL (signifying it as perhaps dynamically generated info)
so I commented out the following lines in my squid.conf file:

# acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
# no_cache deny QUERY

Next, I went to http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py
and did a cachebility query on this URL and I got this response:

Expires -
Cache-Control private
Last-Modified -
ETag -
Content-Length 15.1K (15488)
Server Microsoft-IIS/5.0

This object will be considered stale, because it doesn't have any
freshness information assigned. It doesn't have a validator present. It
won't be cached by proxies, because it has a Cache-Control: private
header. Because it contains a query ('?') in the URL, many caches will not
keep this object.

Now, I noticed that my browser caching this image with no problems, and,
in fact, the Topozone web page says that you should use a cache with a
long (multi-session) expiration to improve performance when browsing
their maps. Given that these are fairly old maps, they aren't likely to
change.

I tried to get Squid to force caching of all the objects from topozone.com
by adding the follow line:

refresh_pattern -i topozone 525600 0% 1525600 override-expire

I also added the default lines below this:

refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

But it still won't cache the pages.

Ideally, I would liek it to cache the "map images" (the tile.asp's)
on topozone.com but not cache other cgi or asp pages.

Here is a sample of what the store log is telling me now:
1018644180.565 RELEASE -1 FFFFFFFF B2A58F988B3889A1A805067D1CF8D28D 200
1018644476 -1 -1 image/gif 14079/14079 GET
http://bonne.topozone.com/tile.asp?z=19&n=4703064&e=318008&s=25&k=16335573

Thanks

        -Mike