Re: [squid-users] Forcing caching of ASP's

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:58:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 mgio@actuality-systems.com wrote:

> It won't be cached by proxies, because it has a Cache-Control:
> private header.

> I tried to get Squid to force caching of all the objects from
> topozone.com by adding the follow line:
>
> refresh_pattern -i topozone 525600 0% 1525600 override-expire

That will not override "Cache-control: private".

From RFC 2616:

   private
      Indicates that all or part of the response message is intended for
      a single user and MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache. This
      allows an origin server to state that the specified parts of the
      response are intended for only one user and are not a valid
      response for requests by other users. A private (non-shared) cache
      MAY cache the response.

Squid may benefit from a '--consider-self-private-cache' option. I do
not know whether somebody already implemented "override-private", but
you can do it yourself if really needed.

If the images are not private in nature, consider talking to the
origin server administrator to remove the Cache-Control: private
header.

Alex.