Re: [squid-users] squid dead but subsys locked

From: Jon Ottar Runde <jorunde@dont-contact.us>
Date: 15 Apr 2002 22:45:44 +0200

On må , 2002-04-15 at 22:30, Mailing Lists wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I hope someone can help me out on this one.

-snip conf-
> Squid suddenly stopped taking requests. When I look at the cache.log I can
> see that squid seems to die when it is setting the cache directory to the
> directory stipulated in the config file. It has been working fine for over a
> month with that directory.
>
> When I do a squid status, I get:
>
> squid dead but subsys locked
> squid: ERROR: No running copy

Hello Chris, the mailing list :-)

-probable there is a pid-file, that the squid-script touched at startup.
Then the process died for some unknown reason, and you must remove it to
be able to start squid again.

The script says:
 [ -f /var/run/squid.pid ] || break

ergo: if /var/run/squid.pid exists, break.

Try to remove the pid-file, and try to start it again.

Jon O