Re: [squid-users] enable-async-io on Linux

From: Gino LV. Ledesma <gino@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:44:03 +0800

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 06:47:18PM +0000, steve small wrote:

> Thanks to everybody for answers to my previous question.
>
> I'm planning of course to test this, but wanted to get some feedback on
> experience with the enable-async-io option on Linux. Various sources seem
> to imply that it's buggy on Linux; the Squid FAQ indicates that it only
> provides a performance benefit on heavily used caches. Any thoughts about
> the stability of Squid with async-io (which uses pthreads) on Linux on
> 2.4STABLE6, and whether you see a significant performance gain with it
> turned on?

We have different machines configured differently for testing purposes. I, too, read from sources that implied async-io (aufs/diskd) could be buggy on Linux despite being highly recommended. I used to have problems with Squid 2.4S4 with async-io/pthreads and using diskd, but we traced it be faulty memory. Currently, all of our proxies have been running for several weeks now 24/7 (reiserfs+diskd, reiserfs+aufs, ext2+stock) and none have had problems. I don't have concrete data measuring performance improvements, however.

Gino LV. Ledesma
Ateneo Cervini-Eliazo Networks (ACENT)
E-mail: ginoledesma@mac.com
Phone: (63)(2) 426-6001 ext. 5925