Re: [squid-users] Error:no pid file name define.

From: Maarten J H van den Berg <maarten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:06:09 +0200

On Friday 26 April 2002 07:07, you wrote:
> Hi,
> my squid is crrupted.
> i cann't stop or kill my squid!!!!!
> when i go service configuration and want to stop squid , I encountred
> with failed stopping squid.
>
> even if go konsole and type #squid -k check , I encountred with:
> Error:no pid file name define.
>
> what do i do ?

A start might be trying some commands, or combinations, of the following:

ps ax
ps auxwww
killall squid
kill
kill -9
netstat -tupan
lsof

With which you can both identify and/or kill ("stop") the process.
With any luck you can also find out *why* squid doesn't respond but that
is somewhat less obvious...

I myself would perhaps do this; 'ps ax | grep squid'
and kill the resulting PIDs. (And kill -9 if they still persist.)

When I'm particularly lazy I'd try 'killall -9 squid' but that isn't
always guaranteed to work, due to parsing of the process list.

> please don't tell me see faq , I read all of faq pages.

All of the squid faq pages perhaps, but not all of the "basic unix" faq
pages, I'm betting... Anyway, when in doubt, man kill, man killall,
man ps could prove useful. If not, don't complain to me that your kernel
said something like "Oops ! kernel panic ! attempt to kill init" if
you make a typo ;-)

Good luck,

Maarten

--
Maarten J. H. van den Berg   ~~//~~   network administrator
van Boetzelaer van Bemmel  -  Amsterdam  -  The Netherlands