Re: [squid-users] ftp site

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:54:23 +0000

30-Apr-02 at 21:14, Brett Lymn (blymn@baesystems.com.au) wrote :
> I can say most definitely this does not work with MS IE 5, the ftp
> will fail mysteriously. A Netscape browser will prompt for the
> password and work ok.

MSIE FTP support is sketchy. I really don't think a web browser should be
going FTP stuff like MSIE attempts to do. Right clicking files and "Copy
to Folder" just makes me grind my teeth.

However since 90% of the web browsing population choose to use MSIE, you'd
think their FTP support would be better, since downloads are often offered
via FTP, although HTTP downloads are becoming more common. I would say as
a hunch that FTP might be a bit friendlier but HTTP downloads are here to
stay, and at least they can be cached by Squid.

Look in the advanced options for FTP, there are some things there that you
might be able to check/uncheck to help improve the situation, but if you
seriously need FTP functionality then a good FTP client is much better.
The time it takes you to learn will be saved once you get the hang of it.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:96.42% see www.mersenne.org]
Hofstadter's Law states that projects take longer than expected, even when