Re: [squid-users] ftp site

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:51:05 +0930

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:54:23AM +0000, Simon White wrote:

> MSIE FTP support is sketchy.

Mind you, Netscape seems to be going down the same path. In version 6
of the Netscape browser they have dumped the file upload (aka
"publish") functionality.

> I really don't think a web browser should be
> going FTP stuff like MSIE attempts to do. Right clicking files and "Copy
> to Folder" just makes me grind my teeth.

yes... and don't get me started on the drag and drop lottery that
seems to happen elsewhere, the rules about when you get a link, get
the file moved and when you get a copy are not something I can get my
head around (not that I really care to)

> However since 90% of the web browsing population choose to use MSIE, you'd
> think their FTP support would be better,

Complacency may have something to do with it.

> . I would say as
> a hunch that FTP might be a bit friendlier but HTTP downloads are here to
> stay, and at least they can be cached by Squid.

The ftp protocol has it's own rude habits - it was designed to
maximise link utilisation which can play havoc on a shared link.
Having said that, overloading http as a file transfer mechanism is not
nice either. At least with a ftp session you can restart the transfer
if the client and server support the feature, with http you are stuck
sucking the whole damn thing down again.

> Look in the advanced options for FTP, there are some things there that you
> might be able to check/uncheck to help improve the situation, but if you
> seriously need FTP functionality then a good FTP client is much better.
> The time it takes you to learn will be saved once you get the hang of it.

There is not much you can tweak that appears to be ftp related in IE.
I would be interested in a pointer to a windows ftp client that plays
nicely with a squid proxy (I _have_ to use a www proxy to reach this
particular site - I have no other choice). I know that the ftp client
that comes with NetBSD (and is distributed as lukemftp for other *NIX
systems) will use a http proxy to fetch specific files but I really
need something that is more interactive for the people here that want
to do this.

--
Brett Lymn