Re: [squid-users] ftp site

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:28:13 +0000

30-Apr-02 at 21:51, Brett Lymn (blymn@baesystems.com.au) wrote :
> The ftp protocol has it's own rude habits - it was designed to
> maximise link utilisation which can play havoc on a shared link.
> Having said that, overloading http as a file transfer mechanism is not
> nice either. At least with a ftp session you can restart the transfer
> if the client and server support the feature, with http you are stuck
> sucking the whole damn thing down again.

That depends if you traffic-shape upstream or not, really.

> There is not much you can tweak that appears to be ftp related in IE.
> I would be interested in a pointer to a windows ftp client that plays
> nicely with a squid proxy (I _have_ to use a www proxy to reach this
> particular site - I have no other choice). I know that the ftp client
> that comes with NetBSD (and is distributed as lukemftp for other *NIX
> systems) will use a http proxy to fetch specific files but I really
> need something that is more interactive for the people here that want
> to do this.

WS_FTP Lite allows support for proxies and firewalls. Haven't used it
through Squid, but I can safely assume it will work since you can write
your own proxy-negotiation script if the ones provided don't work. I got
it working with lesser Windows based HTTP proxies and FTP gateways. Free
for non-commercial use.

CuteFTP used to be a player, but it became bloated adware and I gave up
with it. Used to be a great client, is perhaps still worth the licence
fee.

A plethora of FTP clients are available with Linux, I use yafc but there
are plenty out there for consoles and your favourite window manager.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:96.46% see www.mersenne.org]
IDIOT, n - A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human