[squid-users] SQUID 2.4 at ISP center

From: Erick Arturo Perez <cripto@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 22:43:49 -0500

Hi folks,
One question about performance of Squid.

A box with Mandrake 8.2 and Squid 2.4 Stable 4
256 MB RAM
40 Gigs disk (IDE Disks)
two network cards.
Doing transparent proxy with iptables redirecting port 80
(Yes, cheap hardware at cheap ISP)

This machine is located at one small ISP in my country. We handle about
1200 customers with different connection speeds.
The ISP has an upstream Internet connection of 2 Mbits (now see how
small is?) connected to WorldCom (MCI). WorldCom manages one Internet
backbone down here.

What will be a good way to calculate/measure what parameters should I
"optimize" on Squid to make it work faster? So the ISP clients can surf
faster?

If needed we can add more hard disk. Lets say 60 gigs total?

Machine will not do anything else.

Thanks in advance,

Erick A. Perez H.
Panama, Republica de Panama