Re: [squid-users] Refresh pattern

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 11:46:27 +0200

refresh_pattern is used to calculate the TTL of objects not having an
explicit expiry time set by the origin server.

min is the minimum age assigned by this heuristics

max is the maxium age assigned by this heuristics

percent is a percentage of the objects modification age (Date -
Last-Modified).

Objects having an explicit expiry time set by the server are not
concerned with refresh_pattern unless you use one of the hack options
to override what the server says.

Using any of the hack options for overriding the HTTP specifications,
or a min age other than 0 is not recommended unless you are certain
you can accept the effects. The effect can easily include caching of
content intended to be private to specific users when the site is
using cookies or similar user identification methods and don't tell
in the response that the reply is user private. This problem can
commonly be seen for example with PHP based sites when having a too
agressive refresh_pattern setting.

Regards
Henrik Nordström