Re: [squid-users] Proxy on Firewall...

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:54:15 +0200

bebad@gmx.net wrote:

> Sorry, but i didn't understand what you try to explain me... I already
> know, that the proxy use a port >1024 to establisch a connection to the
> internet. My problem is, that it seems to use ports >1024 DYNAMICALLY, and
> I am not willed to open my firewall for a full range of ports >1024... So i
> asked, why
> squid uses those ports or how to tell squid just only use one definite
> port...

It is your kernel who assigns these ports dynamically. Squid just asks the
kernel to establish a TCP connection to the requested server.

TCP must assign a new port to each TCP connection, or else TCP cannot
distinguish one connection from another. Once assigned, the port will be in
use for at least one minute. So if Squid was restricted to use only a single
port then TCP would only allow it to fetch at most one object per minute. I
think you want Squid to be capable of a bit more..

--
Basic free Squid support provided thanks to MARA Systems AB
Your source of advanced reverse proxy solutions or customized