Re: [squid-users] Proxy on Firewall...

From: <bebad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:25:18 +0200 (MEST)

> When fetching content, Squid is a TCP/IP client. As such the OS will
> assign "random high ports" (see
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range) to Squid per outgoing TCP
> connection.
>
> A simple test of your firewall rules is to try with any kind of
> browser running on the firwall. If you don't have X use a text based
> browser such as lynx.
>
> There will also be a random UDP port involved for DNS resolving, but
> this will only talk to your configured DNS server(s) and is easier to
> filter.
>
> Regards
> Henrik Nordström

Sorry, but i didn't understand what you try to explain me... I already know,
that the proxy use a port >1024 to establisch a connection to the internet.
My problem is, that it seems to use ports >1024 DYNAMICALLY, and I am not
willed to open my firewall for a full range of ports >1024... So i asked,
why
squid uses those ports or how to tell squid just only use one definite
port...

2. random DNS udp port? does this means, the port changes sometimes? how can
i tell this my firewall without open a range of ports - because i dont have
an dnsserver running ??

http://www.gmx.net