Re: [squid-users] Puzzled at the ports squid is using. :-(

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:31:00 +0000

13-May-02 at 19:21, maer727@sohu.com (maer727@sohu.com) wrote :
> IMHO. I think when squid transfers HTTP request and receives HTTP
> response, squid will only use port 80 and no other ports are using
> when doing the above two tasks. Am I correct?

No. Squid will send requests on port 80, and receive replies on a random
port above 1024. That's how all basic TCP/IP communication works, apart
from for specific applications in a (generally) closed client-server
environment, or for specific security reasons (VPN, etc).

You have to allow related communications back to Squid. A firewall with
stateful inspection should do this for you by adding the appropriate rule.

Regards,

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:14.34% see www.mersenne.org]
Microsoft isn't the answer.