[squid-users] Re: Website Authentication Problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 21:41:12 +0200

If the sites are usin MS NTNT HTTP Authentication then these cannot
be proxied. This is due to a design flaw in MS NTLM HTTP
Authentication. To be usable via proxies the site must have "Basic
HTTP Authentication" enabled (also known as plain-text
authentication).

Note: Microsoft's own knowledgebase documentation clearly states MS
NTLM HTTP authentication SHOULD NOT be used over the Internet, and
also that it cannot be proxied. To bad this information isn't readily
available in the IIS administration tools..

Regards
Henrik Nordström