Re: [squid-users] PAM again

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 14:08:57 +0200

Aleksey Trubin wrote:

> Well Henrik, I ment that I don't want to add users in system (passwd
> file). Somehow we made such thing for Qpopper with pam authentification.
> Module ran as some user (pampopper for instance) and sent information
> about login/password to PAM, so PAM get information from known user. And
> was no need to add real users to system.
> I'm now seeking such method for squid...
> (But now I forced to have real users in system and use this and that's
> allright )

You should be able to do the same thing for Squid.

There is noting in pam_auth that requires the users to be defined in the
system besides the fact that it uses PAM. The only thing that may require the
user to exists is the stack of PAM modules you have configured for the
"squid" service or PAM itself..

Squid pam_auth only uses the "auth" and "account" PAM management groups. The
use of the "account" management group is optional and can be disabled by
using the -o command line option (requires Squid pam_auth 2.0 or later,
available in Squid-2.5 or from my web page)