[squid-users] always_direct and accelerator mode

From: <Jean-Francois.Doyon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:08:08 -0400

Hello,

I've just begun using Squid in front of my Zope (A Content Management
System) setup in order to make things faster, and have been quite happy with
the results ... Squid looks like a great piece of software!

My setup is quite simple, one server has Apache/Zope, and another has Squid
as the accelerator, talking to Apache/Zope on one end, and to the public's
browsers on the other.

Now the thing is I would like to make it so people who work here in the
office get direct access through the cache directly to the site behind it.
the content is very dynamic when you're actually working on the site, wo
using cached content isn't acceptable.

The only thing I saw that might help me here are the always_direct and
never_direct configuration options, but I've had no success with them.

I tried :

acl office 0.0.0.0/24
always_direct allow office
always_direct deny !office
never_direct allow !office
never_direct deny office

But this didn't work ... looking at the access.log I'm still seeing
TCP_HIT:NONE, TCP_IMS_HIT:NONE and so on for my IP, which is in the office
subnet obviously.

After doing some reading, it looks as if maybe these parameters are only
useful when sing squid as a proxy, not as an accelerator ...

Did i do something wrong ? What am I missing ? Any suggestions on how I
might best implement this ?

Thank you,

Jean-François Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Canadian Center for Remote Sensing
Natural Resources Canada
http://atlas.gc.ca