Re: [squid-users] always_direct and accelerator mode

From: Peter Smith <peter.smith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:51:48 -0500

According to http://squid.visolve.com/squid24s1/contents.htm the
"always_direct" and "never_direct" entries are for parent/sibling
request routing (or overriding.) I think what you are probably looking
for is "no_cache" . For instance, the default "squid.conf" usually
contains the following entry which illustrates this.

hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY

This should work as I have a Squid accel that does not do any caching at
all. I handle this with the following "squid.conf" entry.

# Tell squid to NEVER cache anything:
no_cache deny all

Here are some log entries:
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (null) user1 [17/May/2002:04:03:07 -0500] "GET
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/images/menu1.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 2220 TCP_MISS:DIRECT
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (null) user1 [17/May/2002:04:03:07 -0500] "GET
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/images/1icon.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 563 TCP_MISS:DIRECT
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (null) user1 [17/May/2002:04:03:07 -0500] "GET
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/images/utsw.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 6068 TCP_MISS:DIRECT

Peter