RE: [squid-users] Connection: close

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:49:30 +1000

HTTP/1.0 has persistent connections, and squid has some HTTP/1.1
features.

> Still my primary problem is trying to cache authenticated
> content. One thought I had (hair brain scheme I know) is to
> use the proxy authentication features in a reverse proxy
> environment. I have never worked with squid in any situation
> except for reverse so I would just like to see if this is
> even an option.

That is the standard approach for content acceleration. Simply rebuild
squid with that option on, disable authentication on your web server,
and setup your ACL's and auth helper on squid.

> Could I use the "authenticate_program" option to run an
> external process which queries the origin server to see if
> the client should be authenticated. Does squid send the
> Realm, username and password to the external program (Login
> and Password are obvious, but what about realm ?)

You can do anything you want. No, the realm is not sent. Don't confuse
authentication ('who are you') with authorisation ('you are allowed
access'). You seem to be talking authorization with this external helper
- the standard approach for squid is to build your list of users in a
text file and include that into the proxy_auth acl that permits access.
Then when you change that file, reconfig squid.

Rob