[squid-users] FW: Netscape 4.75 Hanging

From: Mike Atlas <matlas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:48:44 -0400

I'm experiencing a problem with squid 2.4STABLE6 (on Redhat Linux 7.2)and
Netscape 4.75 (on Windows 2000 Server or Workstation).

I have concatenated a list of the "blacklist" urls and domains from the
SquidGuard website: http://www.squidguard.org/blacklist/ (I call
it 'master').
Note: I am not using squidguard, just the enter-separated blacklist from
the site.

I am restricting web traffic as follows(from squid.conf):

acl master url_regex "/usr/local/squid/acl/master"
http_access deny master

In Internet Explorer on a Windows 2000 workstation or server (5+), when I
go to http://www.washingtonpost.com, let it load, and click on "business"
(link on the left), the business page loads sucessfully. When I use
Netscape 4.75(or 4.76) on the same OS(I know it is an old version, it is
required by my company), the business page begins to load, and then I get
an "access denied" error to the link:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/wpni.business/;dcopt=ist;dir=businessnode;dir=
business;page=section;kw=;pos=ad1;sz=468x60;tile=1;ord=310066816686429060

The problem is, if I try to use Netscape after this error has occurred, it
hangs. If I close the window, the process still remains in the task manager
and has to be shut down manually. Is this a common occurrence with Netscape
4.75? It has been tested to the same result on multiple machines. IE seems
to skip over the denied ad domain restriction and load the page without the
ads with no problems.

Additionally, I have tried to remove any traces of ad.doubleclick.net from
my blacklist. I removed the entire "ads" subsection of the blacklist from
my list, all doubleclick.net and ad.doubleclick.net IP addresses, as well
as all domains close to doubleclick.net. I still get a permission denied
error.

All the relevant information I can think of:
RedHat Linux 7.2 server
512MB RAM
20GB Hard drive
Squid 2.4STABLE6
100Mb Squid Cache
concatenated list of "blacklist" urls (from
http://www.squidguard.org/blacklist/)except for "ads"
set to restrict via url_regex
Client: Windows 2000 Workstation or server
IE 5 or above
Netscape 4.75 and 4.76

Thanks for your help.
-mike atlas