Re: [squid-users] license issue

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 20:09:40 -0400

On Thursday 23 May 2002 07:47 pm, nick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Squid is licensed under GNU GPL:
> Last time I checked the ftp site, if you download the binary file and
> install it on NT, you will be reminded it's trial version that will
> expire after months. Don't you think this expiration thing violated GPL?
> Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against LogiSense people, I'm simply
> asking the question. And I apologize if I'd missed something.

The GPL only addresses your rights to use/distribute the software. It
does not restrict what the program may do, including self-destruct after a
period of time. The end of the trial does not mark the end of your
license to use it, however.

As long as you can obtain the source (it seems to be sitting in there,
too), they are in compliance. Nothing stops you from removing the trial
timer and posting it on your own site.

        -- Brian