Re: [squid-users] refresh pattens

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:44:05 +0200

Jigar Rasalawala wrote:

> 1. Refresh pattern is only applicable to those objects who do not have
> expiry time or pragma: no-cache in header.

Correct. (but see the options about no-cache...)

> 2. If object does not have LastModified header then, LM_FACTOR ( percentage
> %) does not have any meaning..

Correct.

> 3. If I set fresh age and stale for object to 0, it never gonna cache
> object.

refresh_pattern only decides the amount of time Squid will consider the
object as fresh.. there is no "stale" parameter.

refresh_pattern min precentage max

the max parameter is a upper bound on the percentage based calculation.

If the result of the refres_pattern calculations is less than 60 seconds
and the object cannot be revalidated with the origin server, then Squid
won't cache the object.

> 4. If I set fresh age 0 and Stale age 1440 for object which has
> A. Object with LastModifed header in response

Then the percentage of the obejcts age is used but at most 1440
(assuming you meant "max age" not "stale age"). See also the
refresh_pattern options regarding the use of the min age.

> B. Object without LastModified, Expiry header

If the object has neither LastModified or Expires, then the min age is
used.