[squid-users] Squid between 2 MS-Proxies

From: K.V. Chandrinos <kostel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 18:06:53 +0300 (EEST)

Hi all,

I am in a strange situation and although I went through the FAQs, I could
not get the definite answer. If someone could help I would appreciate.

I need to install a Squid proxy between two MS proxy 2.0 servers at
different locations. The downstream MS Proxy handles a subnet and the
upstream MS proxy gets me to the network. I have hoped to have my Squid
transparent, but I am losing faith. I use Red Hat 7.3, the included SAMBA
and the latest stable Squid. My Linux box is visible at my subnet and I
can ping till my upstream proxy (not beyond for security reasons). I have
made a (common) user at the NT Domain, Linux box and Samba and intended to
run Squid as this user.

My upstream MS proxy forces NTLM and therefore I cannot even use NScape or
Konqueror to get Web access from my Linux box. I am promted for user/pass
which fail with a 407.

Could someone point me to instructions on how to get Squid authenticate
under NTLM against the upstream proxy? I can't touch the upstream proxy
and change to basic. Do I stand any chance to run Squid transparently?

If the outline is not clear, pls. ask me at my posting address.

Thank you in advance,

Kostas