Re: [squid-users] Transparent caching on port 80

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:20:41 +0200

Yes, you must hack TCP/IP to make all port 80 traffic be redirected to
Squid, even if not actually addressed to the IP address of the server
where Squid were running.

This hacking of TCP/IP is done by iptables or ipchains REDIRECT
functions on Linux, or similar functions in other packages for other
platforms..

The redirection is "redirect port any port 80 traffic to port X on
this server". The important part of the redirection is the IP
addresses, not the proxy port number. The proxy port number is
actually irrelevant, as long as the proxy listens on the port you
redirect to, it does not matter if this is 3128, 80, 8080 or
whatever.