Re: [squid-users] re : cache tree structure

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 00:13:47 +0200

proxyadmin wrote:

> The purpose is to reduce the trafic inside my network , for all the requests
> ( intranet , internet ) even if the caches are partially redundant ( but i
> wish that this redundancy are organized ) .

Which is the typical purpose of a parent/child relation. Have a child
cache to move frequently requested content closer to your users than the
parent cache alone.

> Only the first squid is allowed to pass the firewall but i hoped that the
> cache's operation was the following
> The first request is transfered on the parent , the parent find on his cache
> or go to the server to get the request .
> When this request is done for the second time , i hoped that the cache of
> the children can find this in his own cache .

This is how a parent relation works by default, unless you explicitly
instructs the child cache that you want it to operate in some other
manner..

> I know , it is not very rational because the request are duplicated on two
> caches , but this manner reduce the trafic .
> Is it possible to proceed like this , or my question is a stupid question
> i'm a stupid guy , i know ;-)

Perhaps, asking questions if it is possible to do what it does by
default, making us all confused on what you actually want to do ;-)