Re: [squid-users] VERY slow response

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 01:16:32 +0200

David Beards wrote:

> The only conclusion I can come up with at this stage is that the caches
> are overloaded. The normal connection method is to connect to the
> sibling cache for all access. When I get no response I change the proxy
> configuration of the client to talk to the parent cache and find that it
> is running at what I would call a normal speed. It's almost as if the
> sibling losses contact with the parent.

Perhaps your sibling is simply overloaded (or badly configured for the
load it is receiving), but many who have seen similar symptoms where
strange network related errors occur with no consistent sign of what the
error really is have found it to be caused by network errors. Not too
uncommon is link negotiation errors causing a disagreement on the speed
type between your switch and server (one thinking the speed is 100Mbps
full duplex, the other half duplex).