Re: [squid-users] Peace of mind

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 01:03:35 +0200

Samuel Rausch wrote:

> What I'm looking for is some reassurance that I'm not getting in over my
> head. I'm gonna be relying on this thing to do some serious work for me and
> if I can't get a handle on it pretty quick, I'm gonna be screwed. Let me
> know I'm not out of my mind please...

Should not be a problem.

What you at a minimum need to know to get Squid running reasonable is
documented in the two files INSTALL and QUICKSTART.

INSTALL tells you how to install Squid from the sources. If you have
installed a prebuilt Squid then you can skip this step. (17 lines
document)

QUICKSTART tells you what configuration parts you MUST look into to get
Squid running proper. There are some things about your local network
that we cannot guess.. (96 lines document, perhaps a little bit to
detailed for a QUICKSTART but..)

Once you have it running, there is plenty of stuff to learn about Squid
if you are interested in the details, but not much that is a must to
learn to use it as a proxy.