Re: [squid-users] Zero Sized Reply Problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 16:49:47 +0200

Kickass! wrote:
> So I simply put that little snippet at the beginning of my program? On a
> scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being brand new to Perl and 10 being guru, I'd say
> I'm about a 2 or 3, so I didn't know that output buffering was even
> possible ;-) Thanks for your help.

Yes, anywhere before where the output needs to be sent to the user is fine..

To speed up processing output buffering is enabled by default in UNIX when
the output is not an interactive terminal (/dev/tty*). This applies to all
programming languages, not only Perl.

In Squid this is very notable when you write helpers such as redirectors or
authenticators. These plain do not work unless one disables output buffering.