Re: [squid-users] To RAID or not to RAID...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 23:08:05 +0200

On Monday 03 June 2002 18:57, Brian wrote:
> Would it be possible to make a missing/uninitialized cache_dir a
> warning (until it runs out of cache_dirs, anyway)? Then it would
> just depend on how the OS handled it.

Missing directories is not a big deal. If Squid cannot at all access
the cache_dir then it will quite certainly work until it needs to be
restarted.

The problem is that most time when a disk fails, the OS does not take
it out fully, still allowing applications to attempt to access the
filesystems on that drive, giving all kinds of odd errors..

> For the record, though, ReiserFS did not handle it well. It oopsed
> a few times and reiserfsd deadlocked. 'reboot' didn't work, so I
> had to power-cycle the box.

Seen this too with reiserfs when testing failure conditions.

ext2 seems to be more stable, but I have oopsed ext2 too in such
experiments...