Re: [squid-users] load balancing two squid boxes howto?

From: Gino LV.Ledesma <gino@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:49:13 +0800

>> That's pretty much all that's needed. The 3 parent proxies are all
>> configured as siblings to one another.
>
> When you do cicular relations (including sibling) it is recommended to
> also use cache_peer_access to rule out loops. Deny forwarding to a
> peer if the request was received from one of your peers.
>
> I.e. limit the request routing between your caches to at most one hop.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention this. There're some ACLs and rules to
prevent this (which I picked up from some messages a while back, as well
as the book by D. Wessels).

>> The load distribution reported by MRTG seems to correspond with how
>> we wanted it. The proxies handle roughly 2000 requests/min on the
>> average (I wonder if its possible to increase that, though, as
>> we've peaked to 3000 once). The cache/hit ratio is pretty good as
>> well, around 25% on off-peak hours to as high as 80% on peak hours.
>
> 2000/min is a fairly low number.. (little more than 30/second) you
> most certainly can get a fair bit more out of your boxes unless you
> are running on really old scrap hardware found on the junkyard..

Thanks. The front proxy could be the bottle neck, but I doubt it. It
could also be that the surfing habits of users of the proxies. Either
way, I might try to get some benchmarking tools to see how much the
setup can really handle. Any suggestions on how to improve it? The
network setup is pretty good, with a rather fat pipe at that.

I was worried about this because there are times when several boxes
actually have to wait before one of the proxy handles them, and this
happens with different platform clients.

Gino LV. Ledesma
Ateneo Cervini-Eliazo Networks (ACENT)
email : ginoledesma@mac.com
web : http://cersa.admu.edu.ph/