Re: [squid-users] load balancing two squid boxes howto?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 23:14:03 +0200

On Monday 03 June 2002 15:08, Gino LV.Ledesma wrote:

> That's pretty much all that's needed. The 3 parent proxies are all
> configured as siblings to one another.

When you do cicular relations (including sibling) it is recommended to
also use cache_peer_access to rule out loops. Deny forwarding to a
peer if the request was received from one of your peers.

I.e. limit the request routing between your caches to at most one hop.

> The load distribution reported by MRTG seems to correspond with how
> we wanted it. The proxies handle roughly 2000 requests/min on the
> average (I wonder if its possible to increase that, though, as
> we've peaked to 3000 once). The cache/hit ratio is pretty good as
> well, around 25% on off-peak hours to as high as 80% on peak hours.

2000/min is a fairly low number.. (little more than 30/second) you
most certainly can get a fair bit more out of your boxes unless you
are running on really old scrap hardware found on the junkyard..