Re: [squid-users] Ldap encrypted authentification

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:42:23 +0200

Nicolas MATHEY wrote:

> I use squid_ldap_auth, from squid 2.5 pre7, as a authenticate program and
> it work well. When i sniff the port 389 (ldap port) with tcpdump, I can
> read the password in plaintext! Is there a solution to encrypt it with
> TLS/SSL, or anything else, in order to secure my authentification to the
> ldap server?

Yes, by teaching squid_ldap_auth how to make TLS encrypted LDAP connections.

The OpenLDAP library used supports this just fine if compiled with SSL support
(most installations are these days), so it is only a matter about learning
how to tell the OpenLDAP library that a TLS encrypted LDAP connection is
wanted.

Hmm.. didn't I receive a patch for this ages ago.. what happened with that
one.. Ah, there it is
<http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200112/0511.html>.
Michael, did you ever make a version of the patch with certificate
verification (-ZZ).

Regards
Henrik Nordström