Re: [squid-users] Dmesg message in kernel 2.4 !

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:22:26 +0200

If you are sure that your problem is caused by having a lot of slow dialup
customers then increasing the SYN backlog is fine.

However, if you are seeing a SYN flood then SYN cookies is stronly
recommended.

Note: One does not rule out the other. SYN cookies only come into action if
there is an abnormal amount of not yet acknowledged connections, and then
allows valid connections attempts even if the server is completely flooded
with bogous SYN attempts.

My recommendation is to start by increasing the SYN backlog to at least
4*number of active clients, and plan to recompile the kernel with support for
SYN cookies to ensure you have good protection from intentional or accidental
SYN floods.