[squid-users] squid crashed with signal 11

From: Pat Lendon <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:19:10 -0400

Hello All,

Problem: We have a RedHat Linux system, kernel 2.2.14-5 running Squid
2.4.STABLE2. Squid stopped working (users could not access Internet).
 I could not log into system, but could ping system. I needed to reboot
system. The system log displayed message:

Squid Parent: child process 22594 exited due to signal 11

I have read the archives on signal 11 and it is not clear to me what is
happening - and what needs to be done. Maybe someone can help...

Also, we have had 18 other systems running RedHat with kernel 2.2.14-5
and never once received the above signal 11 message. These 18 systems
were previously running Squid 2.4.STABLE2 and were upgraded to Squid
2.4.STABLE4 approx four/five months ago.

Squid Cache Log did not appear to contain any info for signal 11.

Is signal 11 a result of a kernel problem (did kernel cause squid to
crash?), a squid version problem, or other cause?

Any ideas - I don't want Squid to crash again, nor do I want to reboot
production linux server.

Thank you,

Pat Lendon