Re: [squid-users] squid crashed with signal 11

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:57:30 +0200

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 18:19, Pat Lendon wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Problem: We have a RedHat Linux system, kernel 2.2.14-5 running
> Squid 2.4.STABLE2. Squid stopped working (users could not access
> Internet). I could not log into system, but could ping system. I
> needed to reboot system. The system log displayed message:
>
> Squid Parent: child process 22594 exited due to signal 11

If you could not log on to the system then there most likely was a
server error of some kind. It is quite likely the Squid signal 11
error is just a chain reaction.

> I have read the archives on signal 11 and it is not clear to me
> what is happening - and what needs to be done. Maybe someone can
> help...

signal 11 is generally "something has gone terribly wrong in the
application", and the application has hit a fatal bug.

Normally Squid will automatically restart when this happens, but if
the Squid error is only a chain reaction of some other more fatal
error then it is not much we can do..

> Squid Cache Log did not appear to contain any info for signal 11.

Further evidence that there was a more servere error at play here.

Make sure to check your systems message file as well.

> Is signal 11 a result of a kernel problem (did kernel cause squid
> to crash?), a squid version problem, or other cause?

It is very hard to tell.

Normally "signal 11" is applications errors, but these do NOT bring
the whole system with them, only the application having the error.

If the system is not operating correctly due to kernel or hardware
problems then this will quite often also result in "signal 11" errors
in the application, often also resulting in strange system hangs. In
many cases the system will be able to log some hints in messages, but
there is no guarantees.

> Any ideas - I don't want Squid to crash again, nor do I want to
> reboot production linux server.

I would suggest to shedule a maintenance window on the server to run
some diagnostics (especially memory tests), and upgrading of Squid
and kernel to more recent versions.