RE: [squid-users] Squid configuration and download programs (FlashGet e.g.)

From: Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse <jdw_list@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:37:02 -0500

If you really want to stop the download accelerators, then you can do
something like:

acl no_flashget maxconn 2
http_access deny no_flashget

This is very effective. It will deny connections above the limit before
your delay pools come into play, saving you from the upstream flood. I
believe the HTTP spec allows two simultaneous connections to a site, but
it's been some time since I've picked it up.

I use "acl no_flashget maxconn 8" to keep these guys in check because we
have to allow them, but we get a lot of jokers who set their download
accelerator to use 32+ simultaneous connections on the theory that more
must be better. (It isn't.)

Be warned that a lot of these download accelerators are really badly
written. When they get back a denied request, they will immediately
retry. If the client is well connected, this can mean 15-20 denied
requests per second because the download accelerator is too stupid to do
backoff or handle error cases well. But if your goal is to minimize
upstream bandwidth, this is probably ok.

Because they lie about User-Agent it's really hard to tell which
download accelerators are the worst offenders.

It would be really neat if squid could aggregate incoming range requests
back into a single outgoing request and thus completely defeat these
"tools." But my personal negative opinion of them is probably excessive
compared to most others.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Jeff

--
NearlyFreeSpeech.NET
$1/1GB Web Hosting, no minimums, no monthly fees, no kidding.