[squid-users] Have a different dns server for some specific address, is that po ssible ?

From: Beukers, W.J. <WBeukers@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:04:58 +0200

Hi,

Having the following problem / challenge,

We have a intranet server on our LAN, that had a name change.

The name is known in OUR own DNS servers that reside on the LAN
For a specific reason, I don't want to use the exclude option in Internet
Explorer, or put the servername in a public DNS server on the internet.

So, I have put our DNS server as the first DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf
file

Now people can go to this new intranetserver, by using the current proxy
setting (points to the squid-box) in their IE squid-box
BUT, when people don't go to THAT url, but to the internet, that DNS server
is always questioned first for the IP-lookup....
which doesn't know Internet address, gives back a failed lookup and squid
takes the next DNS server in line (which IS a DNS server on the net).

This, ofcourse, is (very) bad for performance as their is a 2 sec. delay
every time it needs DNS loopkup..

I was think of installing a DNS server on the squid-box itself, to speed
things up, but perhaps there is a different solution ?

For example, is it possible to say to squid, for THIS domain name, you need
to go to THAT DNS server, for the rest, you use a different DNS server.
or perhaps someone else has a different solution ?

using 2.4 STABLE6 by the way....

regards
Wiljoh

-