Re: [squid-users] Have a different dns server for some specific address, is that po ssible ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:26:28 +0200

Beukers, W.J. wrote:

> The name is known in OUR own DNS servers that reside on the LAN
> For a specific reason, I don't want to use the exclude option in Internet
> Explorer, or put the servername in a public DNS server on the internet.
>
> So, I have put our DNS server as the first DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf
> file

You also need to take out any DNS servers not capable of resolving the name.

> Now people can go to this new intranetserver, by using the current proxy
> setting (points to the squid-box) in their IE squid-box
> BUT, when people don't go to THAT url, but to the internet, that DNS server
> is always questioned first for the IP-lookup....
> which doesn't know Internet address, gives back a failed lookup and squid
> takes the next DNS server in line (which IS a DNS server on the net).

Tell your internal DNS server to forward Internet queries to your Internet DNS
server, or have another DNS server that knows about both worlds
(unregistrered secondary DNS server for your internal DNS, and knows to use
your Internet DNS server as forwarder)

> For example, is it possible to say to squid, for THIS domain name, you need
> to go to THAT DNS server, for the rest, you use a different DNS server.
> or perhaps someone else has a different solution ?

Not using Squid.