Re: [squid-users] RE: (Squid-users) Anybody know what this means???

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:51:22 -0500

Did you look at the logs to find out what Squid might be trying so
urgently to tell you? ;-)

Seriously, Squid can generate very large access and store logs because
every request is logged. cache.log should not be large unless there is
a problem that Squid is complaining about. You can safely disable
store.log in the vast majority of environments without losing any useful
information. access.log can be disabled if you really don't want to
know about the traffic. cache.log should never be disabled, but should
not be very big.

logrotate is the tool on Red Hat systems that you'll want to use to
rotate your logs on a regular basis (once a week is usually sufficient
for low load machines, we rotate our ISP boxes every day because it
isn't difficult to generate 2GB+ logs by the middle of the week when
seeing 100+ reqs/sec). If you installed from an RPM the configuration
should already be in place to rotate weekly. If you didn't install from
RPM, you're welcome to grab my SRPM to see an example
/etc/logrotate.d/squid file to start from (or you could install a new
instance of Squid from RPM to rule out misconfiguration issues during
the build).

http://www.swelltech.com/support/squidpackages.html

Just some thoughts...

--