Re: [squid-users] "Accept-Encoding" header

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:15:14 +0200

I would say your server isn't fully complying to HTTP specifications
on how to indicate that there was server driven negotiation in
determining the exact entity to respond with. See RFC 2616 "14.44
Vary" and "12.1 Server-driven Negotiation". Note that Squid is a
cache, not a server.

Squid-2.5 and later supports caching of objects having the Vary
header.

Squid-2.4 and earlier denies caching of such objects as it cannot
support more than one entity per URL.

There is a known Accept* bug in Squid and that is that Squid does not
care about Accept* headers when selecting the content type and
encoding of FTP replies, instead only basing this on the extensions
of the ftp://server/path/to/file.some.type URL.