Re: [squid-users] "Accept-Encoding" header

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:57:01 +0200

Both are fully compatible with all forms of server driven content
negotiation (file type, encoding, compression etc), as long as you
send a proper Vary header indicating such negotiation is taking
place.

Squid-2.4 and earlier won't be able to cache the reply as Squid-2.4
and earlier can only support up to one entity version per URL.

Squid-2.5 will cache the reply if possible, and honors the entity
variance indicated by Vary.

Squid-2.6 will most likely also support ETag, allowing Squid to ask
the server which if any of the variants it already has is suitable
for satisfying the new request type. In Squid-2.5 each request type
is cached individually.