[squid-users] Was: how to raise filedescriptors on kernel 2.4

From: Guy Fraser <guy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:16:19 -0600

Hi

I think we all want the source code updated to allow Squid
running on Linux machines to use the allocated maximum
rather than the header variables.

I have dealt with problem before.

And one thing of note. I think I needed to set the ulimit
for the current session before compiling.

Another thing, put a ulimit command in the init script
before the squid daemon is started.

Now for a suggestion to the developers :

Could you fix the code so that we don't have to do this?

There is a definition that stops squid on LINUX from being
allowed automaticaly size the number of file descriptors,
could that be fixed?

In kernel 2.4 the maximum number of file descriptors is
determined by the amount of ram installed. The value can
be seen in /proc/sys/fs/file-nr .

The port range is in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range .

These "proc" entries should be able to be set by writing the
values you want into the associated proc "file". Since
fs.file-max is configured automaticly it should not need
adjustment, just make sure "ulimit -n #" is set to the number
of maximum file decriptors before squid is run. These problems
could be easily put into the squid source, by someone who is
familiar with the code.

The sysctl command variables are:

fs.file-max = 8192
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024{TAB}4999

The machine I used has 128 MB Ram. To get a list of all the
sysctl variable use "sysctl -a". The variable can be setup
at boot by putting them in /etc/sysctl.conf.

I hope this problem will be resolved in the source code,
there is no reason it couldn't be and there is support for
other operating systems.

Guy