Re: [squid-users] "Accept-Encoding" header

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:10:58 +0200

Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> Here we see that Squid received the HTTP/1.1 request and transferred it as
> HTTP/1.0 to the following (MS) Proxy.
>
> As far as I understand the logics of proxy, it should make the reverse
> protocol transformation for outbound response. Am I right?

A HTTP proxy must downgrade requests and replies to the highest HTTP
version it supports. Squid is a HTTP/1.0 proxy with support for many
features from HTTP/1.1.

> The possible upgrade of the HTTP version seems very unsafe for the
> request processing. For example, MSIE-6.0 could be configured to work
> HTTP/1.0 for some special reason.

Any proxy doing upgrades of requests to a higher version than supported
by the requesting browser must also do downgrades of replies. Messy
business indeed, but needed for proper caching of results in HTTP/1.1.

If you consider that there may be a mix of HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 clients
accessing the same cache you see why a HTTP/1.1 proxy cache needs to
update all requests to HTTP/1.1, and why the same cache must also be
fully prepared to downgrade any cached replies (both cached and
uncached, no difference) to the level supported by the requestor..