Re: [squid-users] "Accept-Encoding" header

From: Slava Bizyayev <sbizyaye@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:30:17 -0500

Finally, it's clear for me. Thank you very much!

Just one extra-feature: In some cases Proxy may change the HTTP version
during the request/response processing. You might be seen the examples in
rfc2616 with upgrade of HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.1. One guy from the mod_perl
mailing list submitted the following downgrading Via mask to me:
"1.1 proxy1.domain1.com:3128 (Squid/2.4.STABLE2), 1.0 PROXY2,
   proxy3.domain3.com:3128 (Oops 1.5.22f1)"
Here we see that Squid received the HTTP/1.1 request and transferred it as
HTTP/1.0 to the following (MS) Proxy.

As far as I understand the logics of proxy, it should make the reverse
protocol transformation for outbound response. Am I right?

If I'm right, the downgrade of protocol version should be safe for content
compression: the content should not be compressed for HTTP/1.0 on httpd
usually. The possible upgrade of the HTTP version seems very unsafe for the
request processing. For example,
MSIE-6.0 could be configured to work HTTP/1.0 for some special reason.
Namely, it could be done by the end-user to disable the content compression
from somewhere. If proxy upgrades HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.1, the httpd could be
confused and might send the response compressed. As far as I understand the
Proxy will fail to decompress the response in this case. Fairly, I can take
the Via header into account on httpd (when it was not altered with the
security group mask) and refrain from content compression in case if
HTTP/1.0 has been used somewhere in the path. I'm just wondering, should I
do that, or the better way exists somewhere?

Thanks,
Slava

From: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@marasystems.com>