RE: [squid-users] Squid Hang Problem...

From: Robert Adkins <raa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:41:00 -0400

Hello Everyone,

        Ray's question has elicited a few questions of my own...

        I have heard of a number of people using a content filter program in
conjunction with squid. I am curious why this would be used over an ACL
built to filter out bad URLs and allow "safe" URLs.

        To me, it would seem that content filtering would be a little more
processor and network intensive of a task. Being that the squid server
would need to download the site, parse the information for questionable
content and then decide whether or not this is a site to allow through.

        With a pair of ACLs checking URLs for questionable keywords and then
allowing through good sites, to me, appears to be less intensive of a
process.

        Anyway, I am curious to know which method is the most recommended to
use. Even though I intend on continuing with my existing method, as it
has been very useful and is very cost-effecive.

        Perhaps my neophyte analysis contains a portion of the answer to Ray's
issue. Maybe his system is becoming bogged down with the content
filtering aspect of his configuration. I suppose the only way to tell is
to keep an eye on the running processes.

        Of course, it might help to have some additional information on what is
happening with the system.

        Ray, if you could take a look at top, you don't need to send that to us.
(It could be a compromise of your system security.) Check to see if
something related to your PERL install could be taking up much more
memory then before, also check the PERL mailing lists and see if anyone
has mentioned anything about memory issues.

        The other information that could help, would be which release of Squid
are you running?

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer