Re: [squid-users] wccp on cisco 3640 and squid

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:49:02 -0500

Yep, though WCCP v2 has better security features.

But the simplest path (and one that works in v1) is to simply prevent
packets from talking to the Cisco on the WCCP port unless they are your
web caches. Hijacking traffic would be trivial without such a rule.

That said, any cache that is allowed to be in the pool can become
supervisor. "Elections" are held to decide who becomes the boss. Squid
just takes the lowest IP cache and calls him the boss, I seem to recall.
  Not very interesting, but since Squid doesn't know about weighting or
anything of that sort, it doesn't hurt to do it that way.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.