[squid-users] Troubleshooting Squid/Network performance

From: Gino LV Ledesma <gino@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:38:28 +0800

        Would anyone be able to suggest as to how to troubleshoot proxy network performance? For the past few days, our squid caches seem to take 20-30 seconds t respond from the usual 5-10 second response time it used to have some months ago. Our proxies are setup in the following manner:

                    /---> proxy1 ---->
Int. LAN --> proxy -|---> proxy2 ----> Internet
                    \---> proxy3 ---->

        The proxy Proxies 1-3 are configured as siblings to one another and each have a direct connection to the Internet.

        Our outgoing Internet connection (2xE1) usually have a 50% utilization, so the network isn't that congested/saturated with traffic just yet. The thing with the cache boxes is that when the proxies finally hand over the pages to the client, they're within expected speeds. Its just the initial connecting to proxies that takes a rather, unusually long periods of times. Most browsers show that it takes 30-90 seconds before the pages start to finally load.

        Its just recently that I've started to use Polygraph to see how much load our boxes can handle. MRTG reports an average of 2800 HTTP requests/min, which in our case isn't too bad.

        I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Gino LV. Ledesma
Campus Network Group
Ateneo de Manila University